Gwala massacre suspect killed
A SUSPECT wanted for the massacre of five members of the Gwala family in Mariannhill last week has been killed in a shootout with the police.
KwaZuluNatal police spokesperson Capt Nqobile Gwala confirmed yesterday that a shootout between the suspects and law enforcement had resulted in the fatality in Umbumbulu on Wednesday.
Two wanted suspects had been spotted walking along a gravel road in the area when the shootout ensued.
“When the police attempted to apprehend the suspects, they opened fire on police officers who responded. One suspect was fatally wounded while the second managed to escape. Police investigations to arrest the suspect who escaped continue in earnest,” Gwala said.
The provincial organised crime unit tasked with investigating the massacre arrested four suspects, aged from 21 to 30.
With the assistance of Kwandengezi police, they were able to follow up on leads on the whereabouts of outstanding suspects allegedly involved in the Mariannhill massacre on October 5.
Acting provincial commissioner MajGen Bhekinkosi Langa expressed hope that the remaining suspects would be nabbed soon.
“This gives me hope and shows that the investigation team is not resting. We hope that those who have managed to evade arrest will be arrested soon,” Langa said