‘Political solution’ to ANC crisis
THE ANC national executive committee (NEC) peace process in the party’s strife-ridden Eastern Cape appears to be on shaky ground as murmurs of disgruntlement with the decision to set aside the Sbu Ndebele report persist.
A recent meeting of the party’s highest decision-making body called for warring factions led by ANC provincial chairperson Oscar Mabuyane and Premier Phumulo Masualle to smoke the peace pipe following the party’s decision to initiate a “political solution” to the contested outcome of the ANC’s “festival of chairs” elective conference.
ANC provincial heavyweight Andile Lungisa, who among the likes of Themba Xathula, Nancy Sihlwayi and Mlibo Qoboshiyane form part of the group of disgruntled party members who previously vowed to challenge the outcome of the conference in court, said the group would now participate in the peace talks.
However, in the light of the previous threat to seek relief in the Constitutional Court, Lungisa said that if the talks failed to bear fruit, they would take matters into their “own hands”.
“We are waiting for the processes initiated by the secretarygeneral’s office to lead. If it fails we’ll take matters into our own hands.
“If that process does not take place, we will see what we can do and we’ll explore all avenues,” he said.
Asked if the group would explore the possibility of taking up their grievances with the party’s newly constituted national dispute resolution committee chaired by deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte, Lungisa said it was not an option.
“We are not taking any grievances to any committee. We are waiting for the process outlined by the secretary-general to find a political solution,” he said.
Lungisa lamented the scenes of chaos that erupted at last year’s conference.
“Our appeal is about the conference where people were violently beaten and refused to participate in the conference,” he said.
The New Age has also seen a letter said to have been sent to the office of the ANC secretary-general from one of the disgruntled party members expressing frustration at the NEC’s decision to “annul” the findings of the Sbu Ndebele report commissioned by it.
The ANC member vowed to seek recourse in court as a result of the “untenable position”.
The Eastern Cape task team appealed to Sbu Ndebele that while he was “not aware” of the letter, he trusted and had faith in the ANC’s political solution to the dispute.
He said that his report was not geared towards finding anyone guilty of wrongdoing.
“The secretary-general (Ace Magashule) is saying, comrades lets talk. Talking is the most desirable thing. The report was not a process of finding anyone guilty, so I’m sure we’ll arrive at a good conclusion.
“The process led by the secretarygeneral is to say that the province must unite and unity is a voluntary process,” Ndebele said.
The New Age asked ANC national spokesperson Pule Mabe whether he could authenticate the letter said to have been sent to Magashule’s office on Monday morning and a response was not given.