Invaders won’t delay housing developments, human settlements says
THE department of human settlements this week said it would not allow invaders to delay housing developments.
This followed the recent demolishing of about 100 illegal structures in George.
The warning comes after the department obtained an interdict to demolish illegal structures on land set out for housing development.
Notices of the department’s actions were put up, hence the demolition.
On Tuesday, 87 illegal structures were demolished because they were built on various portions of the land in Thembalethu in George.
The structures were built on portions 197, 51 and 52, which the department was planning to develop for mixed-use.
The head of human settlements implementation in the department, Phila Mayisela said the invasion of land would create delays for the housing project and affect many beneficiaries who had been waiting patiently for houses.
“We cannot allow a handful of people to delay a project that will benefit thousands of families who are going to benefit in this housing project,” shev said.
“If people are not happy about anything related to our housing allocation they are always welcome to talk to us,” Mayisela said.
The department said more than 4 000 housing opportunities would be delivered in the area under the Upgrading of Informal Settlements Programme (UISP).
The first phase of the project, which consists of 1750 housing opportunities had been completed and beneficiaries had taken occupation of the houses.
“The department is busy with the second phase of the project and the invaded area forms part of the development footprint.
“Therefore the department had to act on the illegal invasion as it would have an adverse impact on the implementation of the subsequent phases,” Mayisela said.