Botshabelo murder accused abandons her bail application
A WOMAN from Botshabelo, about 65km east of Bloemfontein, has abandoned her bail application.
Joyce Sehloho, 18, appeared before the Botshabelo Magistrate’s Court on Monday, facing the charge of murdering her fiveyearold nephew.
Sehloho was arrested about two weeks ago and she first appeared in court last week Monday when her case was postponed to this week for a formal bail application.
However, she abandoned the application and opted to remain in custody.
The ANCWL joined the public picketing outside the court house, demanding that the court not grant bail to the suspect.
The case has been postponed to February 9 for further investigation.
Spokesperson for the police, Sgt Martin Xuma, said the suspect was traced to and arrested in Wepener, after the body of a boy was found inside a refuse bag in Section F.
“Preliminary investigations revealed the body was that of a fiveyearold boy who was reported missing the previous day during the school’s reopening,” Xuma said.
He said while at the crime scene, the police received information about the case and went to the house not far from the crime scene.
“Upon searching the house we found drops of blood on the floor of the bedroom belonging to the suspect and we were told that she’d gone to Wepener.
“We then followed her and found her in possession of two towels with bloodstains suspected to be the blood of the victim,” Xuma said. He said that all the collected evidence had been sent to the forensic laboratory for further investigation and analysis.
The deceased and the suspect’s grandfather, Daniel Sehloho, said they did not know the reason that made Sehloho abandon her bail application.
“We don’t know the reason why she abandoned the bail application, since she wanted to be released but we are still devastated, especially me.” the man said.
“She was close to me and even last year when she was going to school camps I used to accompany her,” Daniel said.
He said the boy had just started his Grade R at the school and he only attended on the first day before he died.
“On the day he went missing, his mother asked me if I had left with him. I told her that he was still playing with the other children.
“We then started looking for him and looked until midnight and in the morning while we were still wondering, I was called by a neighbour to go to another street where there was a refuse bag torn apart, covering a body and upon arrival it was his body inside,” Daniel said.
The preschool’s forum leader, Raphael Modise, said they joined the picketing outside the Botshabelo Magistrate’s Court also demanding that the suspect should not be given bail.
“Children are our future, therefore they must be protected always, that is the reason why we have crèches in each town or in rural towns.
“We want the law to take its course and we will always be here until the last sitting of the court, the sentencing,” Modise said.