SABC appoints COO
FORMER television presenter Chris Maroleng was appointed chief operating officer of the SABC yesterday, the broadcaster announced on Twitter.
Maroleng, who starts his new job on Thursday, was previously corporate affairs executive at MTN Group, eNCA Africa’s editor and a researcher at the Institute for Security Studies.
He is famous for his heated on-air spat with former AWB secretary-general André Visagie on eNCA in 2010, which led to him saying the famous line, “Don’t touch me on my studio”.
The chairperson of parliament’s portfolio committee on communications, Humprey Maxegana, welcomed the appointment.
“The committee is confident the SABC board has selected the most suitable candidate for this position and trusts the Board has exhausted all legal processes in the appointment,” it said.
“The committee also notes the board’s commitment to filling managerial posts and hopes that the post of chief operations officer and of the chief financial officer, once filled, will strengthen management impetus at the SABC,” the committee said in a statement.
OFFICIAL: New SABC chief operating officer Chris Maroleng.