Broiler producers price report September 2016
For September 2016
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in SAPA STATS reports reflect those of SAPA in collaboration with its independent consultants and do not constitute any specific advice as to decisions or actions that should be taken. While every care has been taken in preparing documents no representation nor warranty or any expressed or implied undertaking is given and no responsibility or liability is accepted by SAPA as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained herein whether as electronic data or as a finished report. SAPA or its independent consultants do not accept responsibility or liability for any damages of whatsoever nature which any person may suffer as a result of any decision or action taken on the basis of the information contained herein. All opinions and estimates contained in the reports may be changed after publication without notice. These statistical reports and/or electronic data are placed in the public domain and may be used by other parties conditional to the source of the data/ report being attributed to SAPA.
In September 2016, the monthly broiler producer price (total realisation) decreased by 0.3%. The broiler producer price was estimated at R18.43 per kg (Graph 1). Compared with September 2015, this price increased by 3. % (+ R0.55). The→
overall monthly price change was the result of a small increase in the producer price for fresh broiler product, offset by a decrease in the price of frozen broiler product.
The average total realisation price for the third quarter (3Q 2016) was R18.28 per kg, a decrease of 1.6% in comparison with the 2Q 2016 but an increase of 1.4% in comparison with the same quarter in 2015.
In Graph 2, the yearly average producer price since 2011 is shown.
In September 2016, the monthly producer price for fresh broilers increased by 1.2% in comparison with the previous month, to R28.04 per kg, and increased by 10.6% on a yearly basis (Graph 3).
The average realisation price for fresh product in the third quarter (3Q 2016) was R27.67 per kg; a decrease of 2.3% in comparison with the 2Q 2016 but an increase of 7.2% in comparison with the same quarter in 2015.
The annual average fresh product prices are summarised in Table 1.
In September 2016, the producer price for frozen broilers decreased to R17.52 per kg (Graph 4). This is a decrease of 0.6% when compared to the previous month but, in comparison with the same month in the previous year, represents an increase in revenue of 2.4%.
The average realisation price
for frozen product in the third quarter (3Q 2016) was R17.42 per kg, a decrease of 1.7% in comparison with the 2Q 2016 but an increase of 1.0% in comparison with the same quarter in 2015.
Table 2 summarises the annual average realisations for frozen chicken.
Proportion of Frozen and Fresh Product
According to the participants in the monthly pricing survey, frozen meat contributed 91.3% of total sales during September 2016 and fresh meat contributed the remaining 8.7%.
During 2015 as a whole, frozen meat contributed 91.92% to total sales and fresh meat contributed the remaining 8.08%. During 2014, frozen meat contributed 90.08% to total sales and fresh meat contributed the remaining 9.92%.
IQF Mixed Portions
The average producer price for frozen IQF mixed portions for September 2016 was R15.78 per kg; a month-onmonth decrease of -0.1% and a year-on-year decrease of - 3.5 % (Graph 5). Annual net sales realisations from 2013 to 2016 year-to-date are shown in Table 3.
The full report is available on the SAPA website www.sapoultry.co.za