Rank still not opened
Contractors allege EMLM has not paid
WHILE the intermodal transport rank in Komani remains closed a year after completion, the company which had been responsible for its construction has claimed that it has not yet been paid.
The BIAAH Consortium Construction Company held a press briefing related to the non-payment of the company at the rank on Tuesday.
Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality (EMLM) officials were not present at the meeting despite it being declared an open meeting.
The Rep reported (“Still closed” March 10 2017) that the taxi rank, which cost an estimated R35-million, remained inoperational, to the dismay of taxi bodies and hawkers, the latter who expected to be accommodated at the rank.
BIAAH Consortium social facilitator Michael Ntwasa said the bulk of the rank work had been completed by May last year. The project standing committee had since been writing to the EMLM enquiring why the taxi rank was not yet functioning, but to no avail.
“It is really frustrating, because vandalism is already occurring in the vicinity. The EMLM expects us to travel to Komani and inspect the place, which is costly. In March this year, they wanted us to submit an invoice, promising that they would pay, which did not happen,” Ntwasa said.
He said the company had since informed the municipality that it would stop its services on the project as payment had not been made.
Ntwasa said it was a “sad” situation which also affected architects, quantity surveyors and other businesses involved in the project.
He said an e-mail had since been received from the municipality, calling for a progress report, but that this would not be done until payment had been made.
“We have given them 10 working days until we take the legal route.”
Questions were sent to the EMLM on Tuesday, with spokesman Fundile Feketshane saying they still needed to talk to the technical services department as the strike was only concluded yesterday.
At the time of going to press, no comment had been received.