Man to sue po­lice after ar­rest


A MLUNGISI man has cried foul after he was mis­tak­enly iden­ti­fied as a crim­i­nal and sub­jected to al­leged po­lice bru­tal­ity.

An emo­tional Andile Gwabe vis­ited The Rep of­fice, say­ing that two po­lice of­fi­cers ar­rived at his Bede home in Septem­ber in the com­pany of a woman who said he was seen by com­mu­nity mem­bers steal­ing ap­pli­ances from her home.

“The po­lice searched for the ap­pli­ances with­out a war­rant. The woman was plead­ing with me to give them back, but I told them that I did not steal them and did not have them. The po­lice then said they were go­ing to ar­rest me on Mon­day.”

He said they and the woman’s brothers re­turned on the Mon­day, hand­cuffed him and took him to the po­lice sta­tion while the brothers went to find the per­son who had iden­ti­fied him as the al­leged thief.

He said he was not put in a hold­ing cell, but was hand­cuffed from 1pm to 5pm.

“I asked the po­lice who ar­rested me to loosen the cuffs be­cause they were painful. They ig­nored me and just tight­ened them.”

He said by the fourth time the hand­cuffs were tight­ened, he begged the po­lice to put him in a cell.

“They said, 'We know your type, you cause trou­ble in the com­mu­nity' and kept me in the of­fice.”

Gwabe said when the po­lice left, he man­aged to leave the sta­tion and took a taxi to the Ko­mani po­lice sta­tion. He said po­lice un­cuffed him though the cuffs were barely vis­i­ble on his swollen wrists.

He said he was given a J88 form to take to Fron­tier Hospital and sent to New Rest clinic where the wounds were dressed. A nurse told him she feared ten­don dam­age and that he should re­turn to the hospital, which he did last Mon­day. He was told to re­turn on Oc­to­ber 30 and that he would un­dergo phys­io­ther­apy.

On Thurs­day, po­lice showed up at his house again, telling him he was un­der ar­rest.

“I asked to take my pain tablets, but they re­fused and said I would get an in­jec­tion at Fron­tier for pain. I could not sleep in the hold­ing cells.”

He said when he ar­rived at court the next day, he was told the charges had been dropped.

Since then, the per­son who had bought the stolen tele­vi­sion, had ap­par­ently told po­lice that Gwabe had not sold it to him.

Gwabe said he was an­gry. “I did not re­sist ar­rest, they did not read me my rights, I was shoved, I was pre­sumed guilty even be­fore they were done with their in­ves­ti­ga­tion. I will sue the po­lice.”

Po­lice spokes­woman Cap­tain Namhla Mdle­leni said if in­ves­ti­ga­tions in­di­cated wrong­do­ing by po­lice mem­bers, steps would be taken.


PAINFUL: Andile Gwabe shows off the in­juries to his arms

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.