Not a squeak on open­ing of taxi rank

The Rep - - FRONT PAGE - PHILANATHI RASMENI

IT RE­MAINS a mys­tery when the mul­timil­lion-rand in­ter­modal taxi rank in Ko­mani will come into op­er­a­tion.

The rank, which lies between the Ko­mani CBD and Mlungisi, was sup­posed to have been op­er­a­tional in 2014 with con­struc­tion hav­ing started in 2013.

One of the street ven­dors who were hop­ing to ben­e­fit from selling goods at the rank, Veliswa Dingi, said this week: “We were hop­ing that our busi­nesses would ben­e­fit. We are dis­ap­pointed be­cause peo­ple do not come to where we are be­cause the tem­po­rary taxi rank is far from the shops.”

Com­muter Nom­fanelo Sil­wana from Ca­cadu said the ex­ist­ing rank was muddy and flooded and peo­ple were of­ten mugged as it was not a safe area.

The Rep re­ported (“Still closed”, March 10, 2017) that mu­nic­i­pal spokesman, Fundile Feket­shane said the news­pa­per would be pro­vided with an ap­pro­pri­ate sched­ule as to the of­fi­cial open­ing of the rank when re­lated is­sues had been sorted out.

In Jan­u­ary this year, Feket­shane said, “The is­sue of the in­ter­modal taxi rank is still be­ing dis­cussed in­ter­nally and once those are fi­nalised you will be ad­vised of all the lo­gis­tics around it.” He re­peated the state­ment this week. The Rep re­ported (“Not enough money”, June 6 2014) that the taxi rank was 90% com­plete. It was re­ported (“On the rise”, April 3 2015) that the project had been al­lo­cated R11-mil­lion in the 2015/2016 fi­nan­cial year, with R14-mil­lion at the time to be al­lo­cated in the 2016-17 fi­nan­cial year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.