Fam­ily of miss­ing man turn to the Hawks

The Star Early Edition - - NEWS - HEIDI GIOKOS heidi.giokos@inl.co.za @hei­di­giokos

PRI­VATE in­ves­ti­ga­tors who have spent sev­eral years try­ing to track down miss­ing busi­ness­man Nazeer Mo­hammed have taken the case to the Hawks in the hope that it will bring clo­sure for the fam­ily.

Mo­hammed dis­ap­peared more than four years ago from his car deal­er­ship in Jeppestown, Joburg, af­ter he climbed into a black Nis­san Navara with three uniden­ti­fied men.

IRS Foren­sic In­ves­ti­ga­tions, who have been work­ing closely on the case since 2012, have made rep­re­sen­ta­tions to the chief pros­e­cu­tor of the Jo­han­nes­burg Mag­is­trate’s Court to have charges of kid­nap­ping brought against two men who have been found guilty only of be­ing in pos­ses­sion of Mo­hammed’s be­long­ings.

Rot­shidza Net­shi­avha and Robert Nemab­haka were sen­tenced to six years in prison last year af­ter be­ing found guilty of steal­ing two of the miss­ing busi­ness­man’s cars and his cell­phone from the deal­er­ship. The phone was later found in Lim­popo.

Glenda Paul, a di­rec­tor of IRS, said she and her team would not rest un­til those re­spon­si­ble for Mo­hammed’s dis­ap­pear­ance were brought to jus­tice.

“The Na­tional Pros­e­cut­ing Author­ity has ap­proved the ap­peal for the kid­nap­ping case to be re­opened and this will hope­fully bring some clo­sure to the fam­ily,” said Paul.

It is be­lieved the kid­nap­ping case was at first not pur­sued be­cause of a lack of ev­i­dence pro­vided.

“We have worked with the SAPS Vic­tim Iden­ti­fi­ca­tion Unit on this case and are fol­low­ing up all leads re­gard­ing the al­leged kid­nap­ping,” said Paul.

She, how­ever, noted that the unit was con­cerned at the ap­par­ent lack of in­ter­est dis­played by the in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cer at sta­tion level.

“For that rea­son we will be re­quest­ing that the docket be es­ca­lated to the Direc­torate for Pri­or­ity Crime In­ves­ti­ga­tion (the Hawks),” said Paul.

Abei Mo­hammed, Nazeer’s fa­ther, told The Star that even though the two sus­pects were sen­tenced to six years in prison, their son was still miss­ing and the po­lice had to con­tinue in­ves­ti­gat­ing the case.

“We don’t want this to be­come a cold case. We want the po­lice to reinstate the kid­nap­ping case. We feel that the war­rant of­fi­cer from Jeppe po­lice sta­tion is in favour of the crim­i­nals and does not want the kid­nap­ping case to be re­in­stated,” he said.

The fa­ther added that the fam­ily were not cop­ing and de­served clo­sure af­ter four long years.

“I don’t know where my son is. We are ac­tu­ally go­ing mad. We are wor­ried sit­ting here. We are get­ting sick of all this.

“We want clo­sure on this mat­ter,” Abei said.

De­spite en­quiries sent to Jeppe po­lice sta­tion on Fri­day, spokesper­son Cap­tain Richard Mun­yai was un­able to give com­ment by the time of pub­li­ca­tion.

FLASH­BACK: The Star ran a story about the search for miss­ing busi­ness­man Nazeer Mo­hammed on Jan­uary 13 last year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.