Grim weekend toll in fight with Boko Haram
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria: Two separate attacks by suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers – one by a female duo, the other by three men – have killed three people in northeast Nigeria, police said yesterday. All the attackers died.
The bombings late on Sunday in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state where the Boko Haram insurgency began, followed a bloody clash on Saturday in which five soldiers and more than 15 jihadist fighters died in neighbouring Yobe state.
The violence marks a resurgence in attacks weeks after President Muhammadu Buhari said Boko Haram fighters had been pushed out of their last stronghold in the northeast where they have been trying to set up an Islamic state.
Maiduguri police said the women bombers claimed two victims there late on Sunday evening shortly after the male group had killed one person in the city.