Report on patients’ deaths out soon
THE Health Ombudsman’s report into the deaths of psychiatric patients in Gauteng will be released next Wednesday.
Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi commissioned the probe in September after Gauteng Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu disclosed the deaths in the Gauteng Legislature.
Mahlangu said 36 patients had died in NGOs, where they had been transferred from Life Healthcare Esidimeni after her department cancelled its contract with the company, which was looking after about 2 000 psychiatric patients.
It has subsequently been confirmed that more patients have died.
Commenting on the imminent release of the report, Jack Bloom of the DA yesterday said his party “welcomes the prompt release of patient deaths report”.
“I welcome the news that the Health Ombudsman’s report into the deaths of psychiatric patients in Gauteng will be released on January 18.”
The DA MPL, who has repeatedly called on Mahlangu to resign or be fired by Premier David Makhura, commended Professor Malegapuru Makgoba for making his report public in good time so that the full truth was revealed.
“This will hopefully provide guidelines for the future humane treatment of vulnerable psychiatric patients.” – ANA