Late singer ‘hooked on an­tide­pres­sants’

The Star Early Edition - - NEWS -

A FOR­MER lover of Ge­orge Michael has claimed the singer told him he was ad­dicted to an­tide­pres­sant pills.

For­mer lover Car­los Ar­turo Or­tiz be­lieves an over­dose may have been the cause of the singer’s death at his home in Ox­ford­shire, Eng­land, on Christ­mas Day af­ter he pre­vi­ously con­fessed to be­ing hooked on pre­scrip­tion med­i­ca­tion.

He said: “(I thought) some­thing was go­ing to hap­pen to him. I had an in­tu­itive feel­ing about it last year. And it seems very co­in­ci­den­tal to me that he was found dead on Christ­mas Day be­cause he told me he hated Christ­mas as there were never any chil­dren around. For me it is, sadly, a possibility he may have over­dosed.

“Ge­orge’s death knocked me side­ways, al­though it didn’t sur­prise me. I found him a lovely down-to-earth man, but also very melan­cholic.

“He told me he was ad­dicted to an­tide­pres­sant medicine and try­ing to wean him­self off it, and said he was un­happy. “We talked about his su­per­star sta­tus and I told him I thought that with his fame and tal­ent and money, he had all he needed to be happy in life. But when he started talk­ing about the an­tide­pres­sants he took, I asked him if he was happy and he replied ‘No, I’m not’.”

The pair met af­ter mak­ing con­tact on a web­site while Michael was in Syd­ney.

Ar­turo said: “I had just come in from a night out when I turned on my com­puter and saw a mes­sage from some­one with Ge­orge Michael’s pro­file and pic­tures, say­ing he found me very sexy.

“It wasn’t un­til I turned up at his ho­tel and he opened the door in his py­jama bot­toms and bare-chested that I was sure it was him. It was a won­der­ful feel­ing meet­ing a man whose songs I loved.

“We made love and started talk­ing while he or­dered pink Cham­pagne to the room.

“All he drank apart from the Cham­pagne was Coca-Cola.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.