Model agency boss: judgment awaits
JUDGMENT in the case against Kempton Park model agency boss Dawie de Villiers on charges of rape, sexual assault, sexual grooming, possession of child pornography, fraud and theft was postponed in the high court in Joburg yesterday.
Judge Cassim Moosa read through 27 testimonies from witnesses who testified for the State against the founder of Modelling South Africa, who also stands accused of unlawfully exposing his two children to pornography. All the charges date back to 2010. Judge Moosa read onto the record the testimonies of a 22-year-old woman who was allegedly raped by De Villiers when she was 15.
He also read the evidence of a woman who was allegedly molested and sent inappropriate messages, as well as the testimony of a woman who was allegedly defrauded of R50 000.
The judge read through the other 23 testimonies from State witnesses and said he would continue with the defence’s testimony next Thursday.
In September, the court heard closing arguments in the case against De Villiers – who also faces a charge of intimidation arising from an email in which he threatened to kill his accuser.
During the trial, advocate Jacques Pienaar, acting for De Villiers, said the words expressed in the email conversation between De Villiers and Yolande Smit were merely an angry response to the allegations of sexual assault made by an aspiring model.
The accused and Smit had been in a six-year relationship, the court heard.
In the email, De Villiers said that he would kill one of the girls who had accused him of sexual assault. Smit said that De Villiers only said he would kill his accuser because he was angry. Smit said she had contacted the complainant who told her that the accused had tried to force himself on her.
During the trial, De Villiers denied all the allegations and maintained that his accusers were conspiring against him.
The case was adjourned to next Thursday. – ANA