SABC board va­can­cies to be filled

The Star Early Edition - - POLITICS - MAYIBONGWE MAQHINA

PAR­LIA­MENT has started search­ing for peo­ple who can be nom­i­nated to serve on the per­ma­nent board of the cash­strapped SABC in four months’ time.

The in­terim board will con­tinue with its work un­til its term ex­pires in Septem­ber.

In a no­tice is­sued on Fri­day, com­mu­ni­ca­tions port­fo­lio com­mit­tee chair­per­son Humphrey Max­eg­wana said in­sti­tu­tions and in­di­vid­u­als were in­vited to nom­i­nate per­sons to fill va­can­cies for non-ex­ec­u­tive mem­bers on the SABC board.

He said nom­i­na­tions should be ad­dressed to the com­mit­tee by June 30.

The port­fo­lio com­mit­tee was as­sured last week that ad­ver­tise­ments aimed at fill­ing the va­can­cies would be placed in week­end news­pa­pers.

“That process is mov­ing so that as they (the in­terim board) fin­ish their term, we will ap­point the per­ma­nent board,” Max­eg­wana had said.

Pres­i­dent Ja­cob Zuma ap­pointed the in­terim five­mem­ber board, led by for­mer Busi­ness Unity South Africa chief ex­ec­u­tive Khany­isile Kweyama, in March for six months.

The ap­point­ment of the in­terim board fol­lowed a par­lia­men­tary in­quiry into the fit­ness of the then board to hold of­fice.

How­ever, for­mer com­mu­ni­ca­tions min­is­ter Faith Muthambi has taken the re­port on ju­di­cial re­view.

The re­port, which is sup­ported by all the par­ties ex­cept the UDM, blamed Muthambi for “dis­play­ing in­com­pe­tence in car­ry­ing out her re­spon­si­bil­i­ties as a share­holder rep­re­sen­ta­tive” at the SABC.

It found that she in­ter­fered in some of the de­ci­sion-making of the board, and also ir­reg­u­larly amended a me­moran­dum of in­cor­po­ra­tion (MOI) in or­der to cen­tralise power in the min­istry.

The com­mit­tee found that Muthambi had also vi­o­lated pro­vi­sions of laws and codes of con­duct and should be re­ported to the in­sti­tu­tion’s ethics com­mit­tee and Zuma for the in­sti­tu­tion of charges.

The DA’s Phumzile van Damme has since called on cur­rent Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Min­is­ter Ayanda Dlodlo not to pur­sue the court case and en­sure that not a cent of public funds was spent on the case.

“In line with her oft-said com­mit­ment to re­store public con­fi­dence in the Com­mu­ni­ca­tions De­part­ment, Min­is­ter Dlodlo would do well to with­draw this lit­i­ga­tion,” she said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.