The big question is now: What next for Molefe?
BRIAN Molefe’s controversial stint as Eskom chief executive officially ended on Friday when the utility’s board rescinded its decision to reinstate him last month.
Molefe returned to Eskom on May 15 after Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown blocked the utility’s plan to pay a pension of R30 million to him. Instead, she asked the board to find an alternative for Molefe. When this failed the board reinstated Molefe, saying he had not resigned, but had applied and was granted early retirement.
But following the furore that accompanied the shocking move, Brown – who was initially supportive of the decision – said she would ask the board to rescind its decision.
“In giving effect to and on the basis of the Minister’s directive contained in the letter dated May 31, 2017, it was resolved that the resolution of the Board of Directors taken on May 2, 2017, is rescinded. Furthermore, it was resolved that the reinstatement agreement concluded between Mr Molefe and Eskom on May 11, 2017 be rescinded,” Eskom said on Friday.