49 held, kingpin killed after Iran strikes
IRAN has arrested almost 50 people over a twin attack on Tehran that killed 17 people last week, officials said, as security forces stepped up efforts to crack down on suspected militants.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the suicide bombings and gun attacks on parliament and the mausoleum of the Islamic Republic’s founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, on Wednesday last week.
Iran’s intelligence minister Mahmoud Alavi said 43 suspects had been arrested and operations to identify and crush more “terrorists cells” were under way.
Yesterday, the head of the justice department in Kordestan province in western Iran announced more arrests. “Six people connected to Wednesday’s terrorist attacks in Tehran were identified and arrested,” Aliakbar Garousi said.
Iran also said its security forces killed the mastermind of the attacks on Saturday. He “was based in the border regions, but after the attacks left the country”, Alavi said.
Five of the gunmen and bombers were Iranian members of IS. The attacks were the first claimed by Sunni IS inside Shia Iran. Reuters