No ex­cep­tions as school on­line ap­pli­ca­tions close

The Star Early Edition - - POLITICS - NOKUTHULA ZWANE

THERE will not be any ex­cep­tions for par­ents ap­ply­ing late for the ad­mis­sion for their chil­dren in grades 1 and 8 in Gaut­eng schools.

The Gaut­eng Depart­ment of Ed­u­ca­tion yes­ter­day said the on­line ap­pli­ca­tion sys­tem closed at mid­night yes­ter­day and “no ex­cep­tions will be made for those who have ap­plied late”, ac­cord­ing to spokesper­son Steve Mabona.

More than 300 000 learn­ers were ex­pected to be placed in schools across the prov­ince af­ter they ap­plied be­fore last night’s dead­line, said Mabona.

He said al­though the depart­ment would not be ad­mit­ting pupils whose par­ents ap­plied late, no chil­dren would stay at home with no school­ing.

“We will have to en­ter­tain them next year. Con­sti­tu­tion­ally, we can­not turn any­one away if they seek place­ment of their chil­dren,” Mabona told The Star.

He warned, how­ever, that in cases where a school was full, the depart­ment would “not un­for­tu­nately over­sub­scribe any school”. He added: “Those who ap­plied late will have to opt for the near­est school.”

The depart­ment re­ceived 269 676 ap­pli­ca­tions, which was close to 60 000 (59 921) more than in the same pe­riod last year.

Among the schools that had the high­est num­ber of ap­pli­ca­tions was PACE Com­mer­cial Sec­ondary School in Soweto with 419.

Other schools which re­ceived many ap­pli­cants were Mon­deor and North­cliff high schools in Joburg, Pre­to­ria High School for Girls and Hoërskool Aka­sia in Pre­to­ria, and Boks­burg High School in Ekurhu­leni.

Ac­cord­ing to the depart­ment, be­tween now and the place­ment pe­riod, schools will sub­mit their lists to dis­tricts for ver­i­fi­ca­tion and ap­proval. The place­ment pe­riod is ex­pected to start on July 24.

“Once par­ents re­ceive an of­fer of place­ment, they are ad­vised to ac­cept or re­ject the of­fer. If par­ents do not re­spond, the of­fer will be given to other par­ents in the queue,” Mabona pointed out.

He said the depart­ment was grate­ful to all par­ents who ap­plied on­line and on time, es­pe­cially with the sig­nif­i­cant in­crease in the num­ber of ap­pli­ca­tions dur­ing the fi­nal days.

Ed­u­ca­tion MEC Panyaza Le­sufi thanked par­ents for their over­whelm­ing re­sponse to the on­line ad­mis­sions.

Those ap­ply­ing late must take what they get

@Zwane_2li2ls

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.