Brussels bomber was a Moroccan national
BRUSSELS: The man shot dead at Brussels Central Station on Tuesday after an abortive detonation of a nail bomb in a bag was a Moroccan national aged 36 who had no history of being a terrorist suspect, a prosecutor said yesterday.
Eric van der Sypt said the man’s initials were OZ and that his home in Brussels’ Molenbeek district had been searched. He said the man had not been wearing a suicide belt. He shouted “Allahu akbar” – God is greatest, in Arabic – before being shot dead by soldiers on patrol.
The prosecutor’s office said the man entered the Brussels Central Station at 8.39pm on Tuesday and joined a group of passengers in the underground part of the station. At 8.44pm he grabbed his suitcase and, shouting, set off a partial explosion which hurt no one but the suitcase caught fire.