Four days of court pro­ceed­ings, but Bozwana killing still a mys­tery

The Star Early Edition - - NEWS - ZELDA VENTER

THE EARLY af­ter­noon shoot­ing of North West bil­lion­aire Wandile Bozwana in Oc­to­ber 2015 at the Gars­fontein of­framp on the N1 re­mains a mys­tery.

And with the trial of his sus­pected as­sas­sins in its fourth day, none of the wit­nesses have iden­ti­fied the peo­ple in­volved. A pos­si­ble mo­tive be­hind the killing has also not been di­vulged.

Bozwana was at the time of his death em­broiled in le­gal pro­ceed­ings with the North West province re­gard­ing al­leged ten­der ir­reg­u­lar­i­ties.

His lover, Mpho Baloyi, who was driv­ing the car on the day of the mur­der, and who was se­verely in­jured by the bul­lets, this week tes­ti­fied she had no idea who fired the shots or ex­actly where they came from.

She told the high court in Pre­to­ria she sim­ply saw the door of a lux­ury BMW sports car, which stopped be­hind them at a red ro­bot at the of­framp, open. She said she did not see if any­one got out of the ve­hi­cle or who fired the shots which killed Bozwana.

An­other wit­ness, who worked in the vicin­ity of the off-ramp, tes­ti­fied that he heard shots and saw some­one from a dis­tance shoot­ing, but he too could not iden­tify the gun­man.

Taxi owner Mmise­lani Dlamini took the stand yes­ter­day and tes­ti­fied that he knew three of the ac­cused – Sipho Pa­trick Hudla, 34, Matamela Robert Mu­tapa, 40, and Bonginkosi Paul Khu­malo, 36 – as they were, like him, mem­bers of the Alexan­dra Taxi As­so­ci­a­tion.

He did not know ac­cused Vusi Regi­nald Mathi­bela, 30, the man the State claimed pointed Bozwana out to the other ac­cused at Sand­ton City shortly be­fore the in­ci­dent.

Dlamini tes­ti­fied that he and the three ac­cused he knew were at the of­fice of the taxi as­so­ci­a­tion on the morn­ing be­fore the in­ci­dent. Dlamini said he owned a car, but could not drive. He usu­ally asked a friend to drive him.

On that morn­ing Khu­malo asked him to drive with him– in Dlamini’s car – to Sand­ton City. Ac­cord­ing to Dlamini, Hudla and Mu­tapa drove be­hind them in a dou­ble cab ve­hi­cle.

He and Dlamini parked in the base­ment of the mall, but he did not see the other two.

He said Khu­malo asked him to wait for him, which he did for about two-and-a-half hours, un­til Khu­malo phoned him to tell him he was al­ready back at the as­so­ci­a­tion’s of­fice.

Khu­malo then send a queue mar­shal to fetch Dlamini and his car. Back at the of­fice, Mu­tapa gave him R2 000 to “thank him for his pa­tience in wait­ing for Khu­malo”. Dlamini said he was at first also ar­rested but was freed af­ter two days when he could not be con­nected to the in­ci­dent.

The State claimed the ac­cused fol­lowed Bozwana and Baloyi from Sand­ton City.

The trial con­tin­ues.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.