South Korea offers military talks with Pyongyang
SEOUL: South Korea has proposed military talks with North Korea, the first formal overture to Pyongyang by the government of President Moon Jae-in, to discuss ways to avoid hostile acts near the heavily militarised border.
There was no immediate response by the North to the proposal.
Moon, who came to power in May, has pledged to engage the North in dialogue as well as bring pressure to impede its nuclear and missile programmes.
The offer comes after the North claimed to have conducted the first test of an intercontinental ballistic missile earlier this month, and said it had mastered the technology to mount a nuclear warhead on the missile.
“Talks and co-operation between the two Koreas to ease tension and bring about peace on the Korean peninsula will be instrumental for pushing forth a mutual, virtuous cycle for inter-Korea relations and North Korea’s nuclear problem,” the South’s Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon told a news briefing.
The South Korean defence ministry proposed talks with the North on July 21 at Tongilgak to stop all activities that fuel tension at the military demarcation line.
Tongilgak is a North Korean building at the Panmunjom truce village on the border used for previous inter-Korea talks.
Cho also urged the restoration of military and government hot lines, which had been cut by the North last year in response to the South imposing economic sanctions.