‘Khoza still to decide on security’
WHILE the ANC in KwaZuluNatal was finalising the charges against defiant ANC MP Dr Makhosi Khoza yesterday, it emerged that she had yet to accept the security offer from Parliament and the SAPS.
This comes after the House and the SAPS met with Khoza on Friday, subsequent to a security assessment conducted following the death threats she received.
Parliament spokesperson Moloto Mothapo said Khoza had indicated on Friday that she would first consult with her family and revert with a decision by the end of the weekend.
“Both Parliament and the SAPS are still awaiting Dr Khoza’s decision,” Mothapo said.
“Parliament wishes to state that all security arrangements regarding Dr Khoza are ready for activation as soon as she indicates acceptance of the support,” he added.
Khoza has been vocal in calling for President Jacob Zuma to step down and also wrote to Speaker Baleka Mbete asking her to decide on a secret ballot on the motion of no-confidence scheduled for August 8.
Khoza drew the ire of the ANC, which has threatened to haul her over the coals for apparently bringing the party into disrepute, and yesterday was understood to be the deadline for serving her with the charges in her disciplinary matter.
ANC provincial spokesperson Mdumiseni Ntuli would not confirm whether Khoza had been served with the charges.
“I have no knowledge… But she was supposed to get it today (Tuesday),” he said in an interview before lunchtime.
Ntuli, who was visiting schools as part of the KwaZuluNatal legislature programme, had promised to get confirmation by 3pm, but did not respond to calls and text messages later.
Khoza’s cellphone also went unanswered.
Party insiders said the charges were being formulated by the ANC’s KZN disciplinary committee headed by Nomagugu Simelane-Zungu, who was also unavailable for comment.
The ANC has previously stated that Khoza would be charged before the end of the week for breaking ranks.