OR­GAN­ISED HIT ON SON: DAD AND STEPMOM IN COURT

The Star Early Edition - - FRONT PAGE - SIHLE MANDA @Sih­le_MG

A MAR­RIED cou­ple are be­lieved to have or­gan­ised a hit on their 17-year-old son, who was shot dead last year.

The ac­cused fa­ther and step­mother made a brief ap­pear­ance in the Thaba Nchu Mag­is­trate’s Court in the Free State on Mon­day, where they pleaded not guilty.

Te­boho Chris Mo­la­tole, 45, and his wife Monkie Kele­bogile Mo­la­tole, 48, were ar­rested along with two other peo­ple – Mam­pho Ran­thimu, 52, and Kg­wediyamorena Se­futhi, 31.

It is al­leged that Ran­thimu or­gan­ised the ex­e­cu­tion, while Se­futhi car­ried it out.

It was not yet clear if they were hired by the cou­ple, who have de­nied the mur­der charge.

Po­lice spokesper­son Martin Xuma said Kear­a­betswe Leteane was shot dead on April 5, a few min­utes after re­turn­ing home from foot­ball practice.

“Leteane had just re­turned from a soc­cer practice and was re­lax­ing in his back room at his fa­ther’s house in Glad­stone Trust in Thaba Nchu when an un­known male en­tered the room and al­legedly shot him once in the chest be­fore flee­ing the scene,” he said. “The mo­tive for the killing is the subject of in­ves­ti­ga­tion.”

Se­futhi was ar­rested last Thursday and the other three were ap­pre­hended the fol­low­ing day.

Ran­thimu and Se­futhi also ap­peared in court on Mon­day.

“A pis­tol sus­pected to have been used in the com­mis­sion of the crime was found in the al­leged hit­man’s pos­ses­sion and has been sent for bal­lis­tic tests,” Xuma said.

The case was post­poned for fur­ther in­ves­ti­ga­tion and the sus­pects will ap­pear again on Jan­uary 18 for a for­mal bail ap­pli­ca­tion.

Xuma added that the re­la­tion­ship be­tween the boy and the cou­ple was be­ing probed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.