Rape and fiery murder accused withdraw their bid for bail
FIVE men who allegedly raped a 34-year-old woman and then doused her and her male friend with a flammable liquid before setting them alight, yesterday withdrew their bail applications at the Kagiso Magistrate’s Court, where an angry crowd was baying for their blood.
The lawyers for Mzama, 28, Sabatha Mathuku, 30, Lindokhule Thembani, 23, Thamsanqa Sizama, 22, and Lindani Mzama, 22, told the magistrate that after consultations, the accused had decided to withdraw their bail applications.
The five accused each face two counts of murder and rape, two counts of kidnapping and negligent driving.
They allegedly accosted Jeanette Cindi and her friend, Lungelo Buthelezi, 31, earlier this month when the two were on their way home from a night out.
The gang allegedly raped Cindi before they doused her and Buthelezi with a flam- mable alight.
Buthelezi succumbed to his injuries and died at the scene. Cindi, who also suffered severe burns, died in hospital.
Yesterday, the accused told the court through their legal representatives that they had been assaulted while in custody. However, State prosecutor Myner Mokoakoa dismissed their submission.
“This is not their first appearance in court, why did they not mention this to the court on their previous appearance?” Mokoakoa said.
The public gallery was filled by Tshepisong community members, whose anger towards the accused was palpable.
The matter was adjourned to June 2.
Outside the court, Clowy Cindi, the sister of the murdered woman, said she was pleased that the accused had withdrawn their bail applications.
“They were knew that the community would hunt them down if they were released on bail,” she said. – ANA
They knew that the community would hunt them down