Meghan’s dad to miss the big occasion
MEGHAN Markle has confirmed that her father will not be walking her down the aisle during her wedding to Prince Harry at Windsor Castle tomorrow.
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding,” Meghan said in a statement issued by Kensington Palace, the couple’s London residence.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health,” she said, following reports that Thomas Markle, 73, underwent minor heart surgery on Wednesday.
Markle’s mother, Doria Ragland, who arrived in London on Wednesday, is now expected to accompany her down the aisle at St George’s Chapel inside the castle.
“I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support,” Markle added.
“Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.”
Thomas Markle, who divorced Ragland when Meghan was six years old, told US gossip website
TMZ early on Wednesday that cardiologists planned to “clear blockage, repair damage and put a stent where it is needed”.
He suffered a heart attack last week and experienced chest pains on Monday, TMZ said.
Doubt had already been cast over his attendance at the wed-
ding after claims that he had staged several photographs of him taken last month near his home in Mexico.
Meghan’s half-brother, Thomas Markle Junior, 51, and half-sister Samantha Grant, 53, have also made a series of embarrassing and sometimes contradictory
statements on the family media in recent weeks.
Speaking to the British tabloid The Daily Mirror in Windsor on Wednesday, Markle Junior said he regretted a “moment of madness” when he issued an open letter warning Harry against marrying his half-sister. – dpa
SOUVENIRS: Royal wedding merchandise on sale at a store in Windsor, England.
ARTY: An image of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle is seen on top of a cup of coffee.
CUTE: A shelf display of Marmite spread with a redesigned label for the forthcoming royal wedding.