Brockie heads Su­per­Sport into fi­nal

The Sunday Independent - - SPORT -

Brockie pow­ered in a close range header 14 min­utes in and an­other in the fi­nal minute of the first half, giv­ing the vis­i­tors a 3-1 ag­gre­gate suc­cess.

The New Zealand as­sas­sin missed the first leg af­fair a fort­night ago after he re­quested a trans­fer fol­low­ing in­ter­est from Mamelodi Sun­downs, which his club re­jected.

With his show­ing last night Brockie would have con­vinced the Su­per­sport man­age­ment that he had got over the trans­fer re­quest re­jec­tion and that he was fully com­mit­ted to the Pre­to­ria out­fit’s cause.

How Mar­itzburg must have wished that the New Zealan­der would have suc­ceeded in get­ting his trans­fer.

Brockie en­joys a great strike rate against the Mid­lands team, with four goals in five pre­vi­ous starts. His dou­ble in the first half made it six in six.

Be­sides en­hanc­ing his own sta­tis­tics against Mar­itzburg the striker kept up his club’s hoodoo sta­tus over Mar­itzburg.

The KwaZulu-Natal side had never beaten Su­per­Sport at home in league or cup play through­out their his­tory.

Their over­all record against Su­per­Sport was also woeful, with a lowly two wins from 25 meet­ings, both reg­is­tered away.

It might have been worse had mid­fielder Siph­e­sihle Ndlovu been sent off for a late studs-up slid­ing tackle on Su­per­sport de­fender Grant Kekana in the 33rd minute.

Brockie was one of two changes from the ear­lier game, the other be­ing mid­fielder Dean Fur­man.

The cap­tain also made a wel­come re­turn to the line-up, put­ting winger Aubrey Modiba into space for the cross that picked out Brockie for the opener.

Modiba also as­sisted with the sec­ond goal.

Su­per­Sport started with five play­ers who were in the South African squad that suf­fered back-toback 2018 World Cup group qual­i­fier de­feats to Cape Verde last week.

The re­turn to club duty for Fur­man, goal­keeper Ron­wen Wil­liams, Clay­ton Daniels, Mor­gan Gould and Bradley Grob­ler must have been a re­lief after the lows with Bafana Bafana.

The home side made a valiant at­tempt at fight­ing back but this was an ef­fi­cient and ruth­less Su­per­Sport whose pedi­gree shone through, helped by their nu­mer­ous in­ter­na­tion­als.

Up­starts Mar­itzburg, com­prised largely of young­sters and sev­eral new­com­ers, had sur­prised Sun­downs 1-0 away in the open­ing round of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Last night there was lit­tle op­por­tu­nity for striker Evans Rusike and winger De­olin Mekoa after Su­per­sport grabbed the lead.

Mid­fielder Bandile Shandu had chances on ei­ther side of Brockie’s first goal but fluffed them.

After the in­ter­val it got worse when new­comer Yazid Atouba was sent off for a sec­ond yel­low card of­fence.

The Cameroo­nian made his de­but when he re­placed Shel­don van Wyk in the sec­ond half but a sec­ond cau­tion for sim­u­la­tion made it a mis­er­able start to his ca­reer in South Africa after trans­fer­ring from AS Vita in the Demo­cratic Repub­lic of Congo.

Mar­itzburg will look to re­cover from this set­back – their first de­feat in five league and cup out­ings – when they re­turn to Absa Premier­ship duty with a KwaZu­luNatal derby against AmaZulu in Dur­ban on Tues­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.