Fight against gen­der-based vi­o­lence to con­tinue – MEC

Killing of women alarm­ing, but hope not lost

The Sunday Independent - - NEWS - MANYANE MANYANE

MORE than 10 women are mur­dered each month in Gaut­eng, and the num­bers seem to be in­creas­ing, fig­ures from the MEC for Com­mu­nity Safety show af­ter another 20-yearold woman was found dead in a stream between Zone 3 and Zone 6 in Se­bo­keng, in the Vaal Tri­an­gle.

A 41-year-old man, said to be her neigh­bour, was ar­rested in con­nec­tion with the killing.

De­spite gov­ern­ment ef­forts to cre­ate aware­ness against woman abuse, the spate of mur­ders of women by their clos­est part­ners or friends seems to be on the rise in Gaut­eng, where fig­ures from the MEC show that 68 women were mur­dered between March and Au­gust this year.

These fig­ures in­clude the well-pub­li­cised mur­ders of five women – Ler­ato Moloi, Karabo Mokoena, Them­bisile Yende, Popi Qwabe, Bongeka Phun­gula – which hap­pened dur­ing the months of April and May.

Spokesper­son for Com­mu­nity Safety Busaphi Nx­u­malo, who spoke on be­half of MEC Siza­kele Nkosi-Malobane, said the killings were dis­ap­point­ing be­cause the MEC’s de­part­ment had hugely bud­geted cam­paigns to tackle this preva­lence.

“The de­part­ment has al­ways con­demned the killing of women. We have adopted 356 days of ground­break­ing in­ter­ven­tion con­cern­ing the scourge of killing of women and chil­dren. This is sad be­cause we spent a lot of money in our cam­paigns against the killing of women. We feel we have lost money, but we don’t re­gret. In fact, we will con­tinue with our cam­paigns be­cause this is a cri­sis and it is still con­tin­u­ing,” Nx­u­malo said.

The de­part­ment had also hosted a num­ber of hu­man chain marches which were led by men to high­light the is­sue of gen­der-based vi­o­lence, Nx­u­malo said.

“Faith Based Or­gan­i­sa­tion is also part of the pro­gramme against the killing of women in Gaut­eng Prov­ince. Soc­cer play­ers and le­gends play part in lead­ing cam­paigns against the scourge through sport.

“The Com­mu­nity Safety De­part- ment ad­vo­cates to fight gen­der-based vi­o­lence in com­mu­ni­ties across the prov­ince, and with the help of men who are pro­tec­tors of women in so­ci­ety. We can’t fight only as women be­cause we be­come vic­tims; men should also come on board.

“We also en­cour­age the com­mu­ni­ties to re­port cases of gen­der-based vi­o­lence,” she said.

Nx­u­malo said she was grate­ful that sus­pects had been ar­rested.

“We are happy that 80% of the per­pe­tra­tors have been ar­rested, but 20% of them are not yet ar­rested, and these are peo­ple in power. This shows that even our po­lice are ded­i­cated to bring­ing them to book. As the de­part­ment, we will con­tinue to work hard to end this scourge.”

MUR­DER VIC­TIMS: Karabo Mokoena, Char­lotte Madibuseng and Themibisile Lu­ci­aYende

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.