As deadline looms for BGMs to be completed
THE ANC is scrambling to declare all participating branches ready for its 54th national elective conference due to start in five weeks’ time. While 60% of branches have wound up their processes through branch general meetings, the remaining 40% have until Wednesday to shape up.
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said yesterday the party’s leadership was working tirelessly to ensure these branches meet the deadline. He warned no extensions or exceptions would be made.
“Many provinces are doing well relatively. There is one province that is 90% over their BGMs. There are provinces at around 76%. There is also a province at 29% and that is where we are. We are going to push provinces to finish the work they are doing,” he said.
He was speaking on the sidelines of the ANC’s special national executive committee meeting currently under way in Irene, near Pretoria.
The four-day meeting is set to deliberate, among others, the outcomes of the recent ANC’s Veterans’ League Conference, the chaotic Eastern Cape elective conference, which resulted in a number of injuries after party delegates hurled chairs at each other, and a draft organisational report which Mantashe will present before the party’s top leadership.
He said the special meeting was to ensure that NEC members have their say before a final report is drafted.
At the end of this meeting, the party will also pronounce its decision on the