No promised land for Supra hit whistle-blower
THE SANGOMA who exposed the plot to assassinate Supra Mahumapelo fears for his life after claims emerged that ANC bigwigs apparently received R16 million to help find a portion of land to settle on after he was taken out of the witness protection programme.
Tshanako Tshukudu is embroiled in a bitter fight with members of the ANC North West provincial executive committee (PEC) over the governing party’s failure to fulfil promises made to him.
This week Tshukudu recounted his frustration over the loss he suffered following his decision to inform the police of jailed former ANC councillor Gaasite Legalatladi’s plot to have Mahumapelo murdered in December 2014.
Legalatladi had approached Tshukudu in Mmasebudule, near Zeerust, to assist her with killing the ANC North West provincial chairperson, as well as former Mahikeng mayor Gosiame Seatlholo because she wanted to be promoted. Tshukudu reported the matter to the police and Legalatladi was caught on video, which led to her arrest.
It later emerged in court that Legalatladi also wanted to kill Ngaka Modiri Molema district municipality mayor Tshepo Makolomakwa and the late Mahikeng councillor Pontsho Tabane.
This week, Tshukudu told The Sunday Independent that he wanted the property and livestock he had before he was put into the witness protection programme in which he spent three years.
”I want them to replace my belongings. I am struggling. I don’t have a home,” complained Tshukudu.
He said he feared for his life as there were people spreading rumours that he had R16m.
”My life is in danger for doing the right thing. They must keep their promises, that’s all I want,” said Tshukudu.
When Tshukudu left his home he had 25 cows, 47 goats and 55 sheep. “I was making R100 000 a month. I should be having 100 cows right now,” he said.
During his time in the witness protection programme, Tshukudu’s home in Mmasebudule was destroyed and burnt down, and his livestock, generator and solar system stolen. ”My party failed to fulfil their promises of looking after my children while I was away,” Tshukudu said in a letter sent to ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule this week in which he complained about the party’s broken promises.
“My children are suffering I don’t even have money to support them.”
In the letter, he said when Legalatladi first approached him, he went to report the matter to the Hawks with ANC PEC member Donald Mosikare.
”The day the Hawks arrested that woman (Legalatladi) I was with Mosikare, Tabane and Makolomakwa.”
According to Tshukudu, Mosikare phoned Mahumapelo and ANC PEC member and agriculture MEC Manketsi Tlhape to inform them that the Hawks operation to arrest Legalatladi went well.
In October, the Lehurutshe Magistrate’s Court sentenced Legalatladi to five years’ imprisonment for plotting to kill Mahumapelo.
After concluding his testimony in June last year, Tshukudu was unwilling to return to Mmasebudule fearing for his safety. In his letter to Magashule, Tshukudu said Mosikare told him to find a portion of land, and that the ANC would buy it for him.
”I have been patient for six full months. I’m asking for your intervention in this matter and I’m just giving you seven days to sort my problem,” Tshukudu told Magashule.
Mahumapelo, Mosikare and acting ANC North West provincial secretary Susan Dantjie did not respond to requests for comment yesterday.
Last month, the ANC in the North West dismissed reports that the latest plot to kill Mahumapelo was fake, claiming it was an attempt by those on an “anti-Supra coalition crusade” to divert the attention of law enforcement agencies from finding possible plotters.
The ANC said a court had already found two people who made an attempt on Mahumapelo’s life guity.
This followed the opening of a case of conspiracy to commit murder at the Mahikeng police station. The new plot allegedly involved the hiring of hitmen who were already paid R250 000 and were to be paid a balance after killing Mahumapelo.
The national government placed all North West provincial departments under administration following widespread protests demanding that Mahumapelo step down and corruption be investigated.
Cosatu’s biggest affiliate Nehawu started an anti-corruption drive to highlight graft in the provincial Health Department including paying a R30m advance to a Gupta-linked company Mediosa for mobile clinics without going to tender.
Meanwhile, the DA in the province has lodged a Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) in a bid to force President Cyril Ramaphosa to disclose his reasons to “fire” Mahumapelo.
Yesterday, DA North West leader Joe Mcgluwa said their application was prompted by the alleged failure of Ramaphosa’s Inter-Ministerial Task Team (IMTT) to disclose their report about the state of North West.
Ramaphosa established the IMTT following violent protests in the province, collapse of health system including reported deaths of patients due to strike action by Nehawu and lack of schooling in some parts of the province.
The DA said the team, led by Minister in the Presidency Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, had to date shown little interest in sharing its long-awaited findings of what has transpired in the province. According to Mcgluwa, Dlamini Zuma was in the province on Thursday but failed to give members of the legislature a glimpse of her report.
“The task team’s meeting with the members of the North West legislature on Thursday was its very first engagement with key provincial stakeholders since its appointment in April.
“Because of their unwillingness to make known their findings, the DA has lodged a PAIA application to gain access to the report and to subsequently hold the task team accountable to address the report’s findings.
“The fact is that the investigation by the IMTT as well as their undisclosed report has done very little to bring order to the province,” Mcgluwa said.
He said the fact was that as long as the province had no premier and as long as Mahumapelo was “still in an executive position, the province’s deep-rooted problems will not be solved”.