Mahlangu denies debt to Gauteng
● Former Gauteng health MEC Qedani Mahlangu denies owing money to the government‚ claiming that no security upgrades were done to her home.
It was revealed last week in an answer to a question by the DA’s Jack Bloom in the Gauteng legislature that Mahlangu owed R51 558 to the province after security upgrades to her house breached the R200 000 limit.
But Mahlangu’s lawyer‚ Angelo Christophorou‚ said no upgrades were done after 2014 to her home in Oriel‚ Bedfordview.
“My client responded to the premier in a letter written on October 18‚ where she disputed [the claim of security upgrades]‚” Christophorou said.
“She has requested invoices or any records to substantiate the allegation.”
Mahlangu is yet to receive a reply from the premier’s office‚ and has not seen any evidence that the security upgrades were implemented, he said.
Gauteng has given her until June next year to pay any amount she owes back to the province.
“My client disputed in a letter to the premier [the claim of upgrades]”
Therefore‚ Christophorou concluded‚ it could not be said that Mahlangu had failed to pay back any money.
Bloom, quoting the Gauteng legislature‚ told the media that Mahlangu owed R51 558 for home security upgrades.
“She is currently ducking her obligation to appear before the Esidimeni arbitration hearings‚ and I hope she doesn’t try to avoid paying the money she owes to the provincial government,” Bloom said in a statement.
Mahlangu has since confirmed that she would testify at the Life Esidimeni hearings between January 22 and 26.
The premier’s office failed to respond to requests for comment.