Six checks before buying used
IMPERIAL Auto has asked its network of pre-owned car dealers for their advice on buying a used car, and culled these six checks from their answers.
• Talk to experts: While there are many credible dealers out there, your best bet is to start with a pre-owned vehicle dealership that is part of a franchised dealer network. These organisations typically have stringent policies and procedures in place to check the quality of pre-owned vehicles, giving you the peace of mind that you are purchasing your dream car, and not taking on someone else’s cast-off nightmare.
• Safety first: Each vehicle manufacturer has a standard pre-owned safety check list, and all pre-owned cars processed by franchised dealers are checked against these lists to make sure that they still comply with all safety requirements. No doubt you’ll be transporting your family or friends in your vehicle, and you’ll want to be sure that they, and you, will be safe.
• Comply with the law: South African legislation requires that every pre-owned vehicle is subject to a roadworthy test before ownership is transferred. Above-board dealerships will take care of this process for you, making sure that anything preventing the roadworthy certificate being issued is taken care of before the sale is concluded.
• Be prepared: Make yourself a checklist to work through when you’re looking at preowned cars, no matter which dealership you’re working with. Questions should include:
• When was the car first registered?
• What is the mileage on the odometer?
• What is the general condition of the car?
• Has this car been in an accident? • Has this car been resprayed?
• Is it possible to extend the warranty or service plan on this car?
• Does this car have a complete and authentic service record?
• Were services completed at an authorised dealership?
• Can you test the car? Always test drive the car before you make your final decision. If you’re interested in a particular vehicle, chat to an Imperial Auto concierge service staffer in your area to help you find that particular vehicle for testing.
• Consider your options: Online shopping has changed the way that we make purchases, and the same is true when it comes to shopping for cars. You will have so many more options to choose from if you look for a vehicle on any of the online vehicle sales websites that service South Africa.