Guide to bartering a bargain
What NOT to say:
• I really like this car
• Have you sold many cars today?
• What sort of discounts are people getting on cars at the moment?
• Please can I have a discount?
• Are you sure you can’t meet my budget? • Is that all that my old car is worth?
• What will it cost if I pay in cash?
What you SHOULD say:
• I’m interested in buying this car from you, but I need more than you are offering by way of part exchange on my old car to do that
• I’m ready to do a deal today at the right price’ or ‘I’m a cash buyer’
• Has this car been checked by an insurer or the AA?
• Has this car ever been in an accident?
• How much discount will you give me? • Can you meet my budget — if not, I can buy elsewhere …
• If your manager is the one making the decision, can I talk to him/her?
• I’ve seen a better deal at (mention a nearby competitor)
• If we can agree on Rxxxx then you have a deal.