FOR­MULA E HAS ROME BUZZING

The Witness - Wheels - - RACING -

FOUR For­mula E all-elec­tric sin­gle-seater rac­ers qui­etly buzzed around Rome last week to launch the E-Prix that will be hosted in Italy’s cap­i­tal on April 14.

Lead­ing the pack was reign­ing cham­pion and Audi Sport ABT Scha­ef­fler driver Lu­cas di Grassi, tour­ing the city along­side former cham­pi­ons Se­bastien Buemi (Re­nault e.dams) and Nel­son Pi­quet Jr. (Pana­sonic Jaguar Rac­ing).

They were joined by newly-signed Ital­ian NIO For­mula E driver Luca Filippi.

With the course be­ing an­nounced dur­ing the event, the Cir­cuto Cit­tadino dell’EUR will be the sec­ond long­est track in the cal­en­dar at 2,84 km in length.

For­mula E founder and CEO Ale­jan­dro Agag said with a to­tal of 21 turns, the cir­cuit will chal­lenge the driv­ers.

For Ital­ian fans, ev­ery race in the Cham­pi­onship will be free-to-air on Me­di­aset’s Italia 1 and Italia 2 chan­nels, as the new Ital­ian broad­caster of For­mula E.

Greet­ing the driv­ers in the square along­side Agag, Rome’s Mayor Vir­ginia Raggi said the E-Prix will have a “pos­i­tive eco­nomic im­pact”, bring­ing “in­vest­ments and ben­e­fits to the city with its legacy pro­gramme, such as new streets and elec­tric charg­ing sta­tions”.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.