Hairdryer may have sparked fire

The Witness - - NEWS - NOMPILO KUNENE The Wit­ness vis­ited the house yes­ter­day morn­ing with hopes of in­ter­view­ing the home own­ers but got no re­sponse af­ter call­ing at the gate. • nompilo.kunene@wit­ness.co.za

A HAIRDRYER is sus­pected to have al­legedly sparked a fire that gut­ted a home on Carter Drive in Athlone on Satur­day.

Pi­eter­mar­itzburg Fire De­part­ment’s di­vi­sional of­fi­cer Godfrey Mchunu said there were on­go­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tions to es­tab­lish the cause of the fire but said they sus­pect that the fire was sparked by a hairdryer that was al­legedly left on the ta­ble with­out be­ing switched off.

Mchunu said they at­tended the house fire around noon.

“Half the house was al­ready gut­ted when we ar­rived and the roof had col­lapsed but for­tu­nately no one was in­jured,” said Mchunu, adding that all the bed­rooms were de­stroyed.

The only places that they man­aged to save were the din­ing room, lounge and half the kitchen.

Mchunu said the per­son who was at the house when the fire broke out was ap­par­ently a rel­a­tive who was house­sit­ting as the own­ers of the house were away on hol­i­day.

“Al­though we are still in­ves­ti­gat­ing, we sus­pect that the hairdryer started the fire. The rel­a­tive said she had used it to dry her hair af­ter tak­ing a bath and had left it on top of the ta­ble then left the room.

“She said she saw smoke com­ing from the bed­room and rushed to save her dogs be­fore call­ing the fire de­part­ment,” said Mchunu.

Mchunu said the house own­ers were in­formed about the fire and had said they were driv­ing back home from Dur­ban.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.