ANC NEC moves on KZN voterigging
THE ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) has resolved to intervene in KwaZuluNatal following a flood of voterigging complaints lodged during branch meetings to nominate presidential candidates.
Briefing the media yesterday following an NEC meeting, ANC secretarygeneral Gwede Mantashe said the NEC would also intervene in the Eastern Cape and the Northern Cape.
This comes after the supporters of presidential hopeful Cyril Ramaphosa lodged close to a hundred complaints accusing ANC leaders in the province of rigging branch general meetings (BGMs) to ensure a win for his rival, Nkosazana DlaminiZuma.
According to Mantashe 40% of branches in the province have concluded their BGMs
Mantashe, who said 70% of branches have concluded their BGMs nationally, said the NEC has given branches until the weekend to conclude the meetings and warned that there would be no extension.
Giving an idea of the status quo in the provinces, Mantashe said: “The troubled province of the Eastern Cape, as of yesterday was at 56% of BGMs, the Free State at 75,9%, Gauteng at 76%, Mpumalanga at 95,7%, Limpopo at 73,8%, Northwest at 54,3%, the Western Cape at 66,3% and the Northern Cape at 94%.”
He said the party was confident its December conference would be a success.
Disgruntled party members in the Northern Cape have taken the ANC to court, asking for the May 8 provincial congress in Colesburg to be re viewed and set aside. KwaZuluNatal and the Eastern Cape are also engaged in court battles.
“The NEC received a report on the appeal of the Lower South Coast region in KZN. The regional executive committee (REC) was appealing the decision of the provincial executive committee (PEC) to withdraw the executive powers of the REC, especially in relation to municipal oversight and membership management,” explained Mantashe.
He said the REC was expected to continue with its work, which includes the overseeing of branch general meetings and preparation for the upcoming conference.
Mantashe said dispute teams con sisting of NEC members had been deployed across the country to address objections and complaints about branch general meetings.
He also announced that the conference, which takes place under the theme Remember Tambo: Towards Unity, Renewal and Radical SocioEconomic Transformation, will be attended by 5 240 voting delegates.
A total of 4 713 — that is at least 90% of voting delegates — would be branch delegates. “The remainder is the 10%, that takes us to 5 240, which is your Women’s League, your Youth League, your Veterans’ League, your NEC and an allocated number to PECs,” said Mantashe.
The secretarygeneral also reflected on the Eastern Cape’s violent September congress, which was dubbed “a festival of chairs” by Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, who later retracted the phrase.
Mantashe said the violent conduct displayed at that conference was against the party’s values and culture.
Mantashe said the ANC condemned the use of violence to achieve a winning result at conferences and expressed sympathy with those who were injured when delegates started throwing chairs at one another.
Mantashe said the NEC was “unequivocal” in the need to ensure that all incidents which took place around that conference were investigated speedily.
“The [ANC] national executive committee received a report on the appeal of the Lower South Coast region in KZN. The regional executive committee was appealing the decision of the provincial executive committee to withdraw the executive powers of the region ...”