ANC: ‘GO NOW’
NEC agrees to tell Zuma to quit or be recalled — report
THE ANC NEC was late last night reported to have decided to tell President Jacob Zuma that he must resign or be recalled, and given him 48 hours to react.
News24 reported a source inside the NEC as saying party president Cyril Ramaphosa and secretarygeneral Ace Magashule had left the meeting venue to deliver the news to Zuma.
There was no official confirmation or announcement by the time of going to press.
Ramaphosa’s car was seen leaving the St George’s Hotel at Irene outside Pretoria, where domestic and international journalists had been camped for hours, awaiting the news the country had been promised.
Unlike at previous NEC meetings where journalists were able to communicate with individuals inside the talks, there was a complete information blackout, with rumours that NEC members were barred from bringing their cellphones into the venue.
Ramaphosa had raised expectations when he announced in Cape Town on Sunday that the matter around Zuma’s future was on the verge of being finalised.
Zuma, facing allegations of state cap
ture, could also face criminal charges should the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) decide to reinstate charges of corruption and fraud that were withdrawn shortly before he became the country’s president in 2009.
Ramaphosa, who called yesterday’s meeting following what sources claimed was the collapse of the weeklong exit talks between him and Zuma, is under pressure to get the president axed.
Expectations were high that the ANC, which does not have the power to remove Zuma from office, was going use yesterday’s NEC meeting to recall Zuma and initiate parliamentary processes to remove him from power.
However, failure by the ANC to communicate the NEC’s decision on Zuma’s recall left ordinary citizens, civil
organisations and opposition more confused than before.
“It is difficult for South Africans to understand why the ANC is taking so long to make such a straightforward decision. People are beginning to doubt whether this new ANC leadership has what is required to pull out the country from the challenges it is currently facing,” Save South Africa convener Sipho Pityana said.
Mounting calls for Zuma to be removed as the country’s president last week resulted in Parliament postponing the State of the Nation Address (Sona) that was previously scheduled to be delivered by Zuma last week.
Political analyst Mcebisi Mdletyana said the fact that the ANC had not yet removed Zuma several weeks after indicating its willingness to recall him showed that he was using every loophole to avoid being removed from power. “It appears he is even willing to bring the ANC house down if that would mean him clinging on to power,” he said.
In the late afternoon, hopes of a resolution wewre raised whern the SABC reported that Zuma had agreed to step down.
However, this report was dismissed by both the ANC and the Presidency, which described it as “fake news”.
President Jacob Zuma’s fate was being debated yesterday by the ANC’s national executive committee, which started closeddoor talks at 2 pm. By the time of going to press late last night, there was no news.
A motorcade with NEC members entering the St George’s Hotel in Irene outside Pretoria ahead of the meeting to decide Jacob Zuma’s fate yesterday.