MURDER ACCUSED GRANTED MOVE TO WESTVILLE JAIL
DURBAN — The man accused of killing 20yearold Siam Lee has been granted his wish to be transferred to the Westville prison’s holding cells, about 20 km outside of Durban.
During his last appearance, Cebolenkosi Philani Gift Ntuli (29) previously told the court that he was being tortured by police at the Durban North police station’s holding cells where he was kept shortly after his arrest on January 17.
Ntuli, who is facing 16 charges including murder, rape, kidnapping and robbery with aggravating circumstances, made a brief appearance at the Durban Magistrate’s Court yesterday.
He allegedly kidnapped Lee on January 4 outside a house on Margaret Mayton Avenue, Durban North, and threatened to shoot her, according to the charge sheet.
Lee’s burnt body was discovered by a farmer in New Hanover two days later.
During his brief appearance yesterday, Ntuli was reprimanded by magistrate Mohammed Motala for being in contempt of court during his last appearance.
Ntuli apparently walked out of the dock on February 9 before Motala had exited the room first, which is standard court protocol.
“That was contempt of court,” he told Ntuli.
He then adjourned Ntuli’s case until March 7 to 8 for a formal bail hearing. Lee’s family and the DA Women’s Network (DAWN) were not present in court yesterday. His legal representative, Brad Osborne, was also not present in court.