Fuming 11 told to await ANC answer
The ANC “intervened” on Monday and stopped disgruntled former ANC Women’s League (ANCWL) national executive committee members (NEC) from responding to allegations levelled at them by EFF leader Julius Malema.
The party denied that the 11 ANC women’s league members who resigned during the late struggle icon Winnie MadikizelaMandela’s tenure as president of the league, resigned because she was a “criminal”, as alleged by Malema. The party said instead that the resignations were over “rifts” within the league.
During a press conference, where the women were expected to respond to the allegations, deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte, head of elections Fikile Mbalula and current ANCWL secretary-general Meokgo Matuba addressed the media instead.
Without mentioning Malema by name, Duarte said the allegations were “spurious”. “We didn’t think it was appropriate for them as senior cadres of this movement to defend themselves,” she said. The women were said to be fuming over Malema’s claims that have dominated social media.
Mbalula confirmed that some of the leaders whose names had been posted on social media had approached the organisation. “The organisation advised that it is not advisable at this period while we’re still mourning to be speaking individually about all sorts of accusations that will be made, and aspersions on individuals. But it does not mean that the ANC will not respond on those issues at an appropriate moment,” Mbalula added.