COQ AU VIN
1 kg chicken pieces
2 large garlic cloves
1 packet mushrooms
10 small pickling mushrooms — button mushrooms will do 1 packet of bacon
350 ml red wine
70 ml tomato paste
2 celery stalks
1 medium onion
4 bay leaves
Handful of parsley
4 stalks of thyme — deleafed 1/2 cup chicken stock
• Slow cooker: put your cooker on the high setting for six hours. Stir once every hour.
• Oven: Preheat oven to 120ºC. Cover chicken with foil and cook for four hours. Stir every hour.
• Chop the carrot, one medium onion and celery, finely.
• Fry the mire poix — a French trio which traditionally consists of celery, onions and carrots — in some butter and olive oil until it is fragrant and soft. The onion and celery will become translucent.
• Add the bacon, bay leaves and thyme, and fry until the bacon is cooked.
• Add the chicken and cook until brown. Add the chopped garlic just before you take the chicken out.
• Place the chicken mix into your slow cooker, casserole dish or oven dish and leave it to rest for a few moments.
• Put the pot back onto the stove and deglaze with the wine.
• Leave the wine to reduce a bit. You want the wine to smell sweet not vinegary.
• Stir in the tomato paste. You can also add some chicken stock to the mix.
• Once you have achieved this, pour the wine over the chicken. The liquid should just cover the chicken.
• Chop mushrooms, parsley and onions and add to chicken.