Food – Bowl Mania
These quick and easy-to-prep recipes prove that bowls aren't just for soup
SPICY CHICKPEAS AND SALMON BOWL
Prep time: 20 mins
1 cup brown rice
½ of 400 g can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
2 T olive oil
2 red spring onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 stick ginger, finely chopped 1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 x 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
20 T avocado oil
200 g Salmon steak Bunch coriander
Soy sauce, to serve
1. Cook the rice according to package instructions. After 20 minutes, add lentils and toss to mix. Set aside.
2. In the meantime, heat a pan and add olive oil, onions, garlic, ginger and chilli. Sauté until soft, then add chickpeas and combine well. Set aside.
3. In another hot pan, add avocado oil and fry salmon for 3-5 minutes on each side.
4. In a bowl, place spicy chickpeas, then brown rice and lentils, coriander, avocado then top with salmon. Serve garnished with soy sauce, more spring onion and chilli.
1. Arrange the ingredients in a bowl, with rocket leaves at the bottom, then bacon, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, radish and eggs.
2. Mix all ingredients for the dressing in another bowl, whisk until well mixed. Serve poke caesar with the dressing drizzled on top.
GRILLED CHICKEN AND BACON CEASAR BOWL
Serves: 2 Prep time: 15 mins
4 streaks bacon, crispy
4 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced 2 eggs, soft-boiled
1 Israeli and ½ English cucumber slices 150 g cherry tomatoes
150 g radish, sliced
200 g rocket leaves
1 garlic clove, crushed Salt
1 tsp dijon mustard
½ cup extra virgin olive oil 2 T fresh lemon juice ½ tsp sugar ½ tsp black pepper ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
ASIAN GRILLED DUCK BREAST BOWL
Prep time: 20 mins
1 T olive oil
1 spring onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T ginger, crushed
1 chilli, finely chopped
3 cups chicken stock
50 g noodles
4 baby bok choy
1 small baby red cabbage, finely shredded
2 eggs, soft-boiled
1 duck breast, grilled and finely sliced
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer. Add noodles, bok choy and red cabbage, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
2. Spoon into bowls using a ladle spoon, served with duck and eggs.
ROASTED MUSHROOMS AND BEETROOT BOWL WITH FETA
Prep time: 15 mins
150 g broccoli
100 g sugar snap peas 50 g peas
100 g Enoki mushrooms 2 beetroots, sliced 100 g feta cheese 1 carrot, grated 1 orange, juiced
¼ cup olive oil
1 T honey
1 T ginger, crushed
1. In a saucepan of boiling water, add broccoli and blanch for 2 minutes, remove and set aside in a warm place. In the same water, blanch the sugar snap peas and peas, for about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside in a warm place.
2. Heat a pan, add olive oil and mushrooms. Sauté for about 10 minutes, turning once. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook beetroot slices on both sides for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, grill the feta cheese for 1 minutes on each side.
3. In a bowl, arrange the vegetables starting with mushrooms, beetroot, sugar snap peas and peas, grated carrots and broccoli.
4. In a bowl, whisk orange juice, olive oil, honey and ginger until well mixed. Serve vegetables with ginger, honey, orange salad dressing.