SASSA – grant­ing vul­ner­a­ble chil­dren a bet­ter life

Vuk'uzenzele - - Social Development Month -

Fos­ter care grants pro­vide a life­line to peo­ple who have stepped in to raise chil­dren who are ei­ther or­phaned or whose par­ents are un­able to care for them.

To qual­ify for a fos­ter care grant, you must be a South African cit­i­zen, per­ma­nent res­i­dent or refugee. The fos­ter child must live in South Africa and be legally placed in your care. The child must also re­main in your care and should be younger than 18. Qual­i­fy­ing guardians re­ceive R960 per month per child, paid through the South African So­cial Se­cu­rity Agency (SASSA) in one of the fol­low­ing ways:

- Cash at a spe­cific pay point on a par­tic­u­lar day

- Elec­tronic de­posit into your bank or Post­bank ac­count.

To ap­ply for a fos­ter care grant, sub­mit the fol­low­ing doc­u­ments to your near­est SASSA of­fice:

Your 13-digit bar-coded iden­tity doc­u­ment (ID) and the birth cer­tifi­cate for the child (if you don’t have your ID or the child’s birth cer­tifi­cate, com­plete an af­fi­davit on a stan­dard SASSA form in the pres­ence of a Com­mis­sioner of Oaths). If you are a refugee, your sta­tus per­mit and refugee ID.

Court or­der that placed the child in your care.

If the child is at school, the child’s school cer­tifi­cate. Proof of your mar­i­tal sta­tus.

You will then com­plete the ap­pli­ca­tion form in the pres­ence of the SASSA of­fi­cer (note that only you as the ap­pli­cant or a SASSA of­fi­cial can com­plete the ap­pli­ca­tion form) and will be given a re­ceipt. Keep it as proof that you ap­plied.

If your ap­pli­ca­tion is not ap­proved, SASSA will in­form you in writ­ing and give a rea­son. If you dis­agree with the de­ci­sion, you can ap­peal to the Min­is­ter of So­cial De­vel­op­ment at the na­tional of­fice of the De­part­ment of So­cial De­vel­op­ment. You must ap­peal within 90 days of be­ing no­ti­fied that your ap­pli­ca­tion was un­suc­cess­ful.

It may take up to three months to process your ap­pli­ca­tion. If ap­proved, you will be paid from the date the court placed the child in your care. This ser­vice is free.

A num­ber of sit­u­a­tions could also re­sult in your grant laps­ing or be­ing sus­pended. If this hap­pens, visit your near­est SASSA of­fice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.