SA mercenaries home, says security expert
THE SOUTH African mercenaries jailed for their part in an Equatorial Guinea coup plot have arrived home, a security expert said yesterday.
The men were released on Tuesday after being pardoned by President Teodoro Obiang Nguema.
“They are back in the country,” said Henri Boshoff of the Institute for Security Studies.
“I don’t know where, and how. I just know they’re back.”
He said the men were probably flown in on Thursday, and one could “make assumptions” about how this happened.
He said the Special Forces League, a private South African organisation that looks after the interests of veterans, had been arranging transport for the men.
However the league was then told by the South African department of inter national relations that it would organise the repatriation. “Clearly the department made some arrangement,” Boshoff said.
“It’s all very quiet. Nobody knows anything, but they are back.”
Department spokeswoman Nomfanelo Kota said yesterday: “I’ve not been advised that they’ve arrived.”
An embassy official in Malabo did not want to be quoted and referred further queries to Kota.