First death for sum­mer ini­ti­a­tions

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NEWS -

AS THE East­ern Cape recorded its first death of the sum­mer cir­cum­ci­sion sea­son, the prov­ince’s health depart­ment yes­ter­day urged par­ents to do more to pro­tect their sons.

Spokesman Sizwe Ku­pelo said the 19-year-old youth died of de­hy­dra­tion last week at an ini­ti­a­tion school in the But­ter­worth area of Transkei.

Last month, fol­low­ing 55 deaths in the win­ter sea­son, the depart­ment and tra­di­tional leaders held a sum­mit on cir­cum­ci­sion in Mthatha.

Ku­pelo said the depart­ment would work even more closely with tra­di­tional leaders and the po­lice in com­bat­ing abuses.

“We will con­tinue mak­ing ar­rests of those who dis­re­gard the cir­cum­ci­sion law,” he said.

“We will con­tinue our res­cue op­er­a­tions and safe cir­cum­ci­sion ed­u­ca­tion cam­paign.”

He said the depart­ment was con­cerned that de­spite all its ef­forts, lives were still be­ing lost.

Par­ents should be at the fore­front in looking af­ter the in­ter­ests of their own chil­dren, he said. – Sapa

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.