Victims’ widows want De Kock to be pardoned
THE WIDOWS of two of the murdered Motherwell Four policemen have written to President Jacob Zuma urging him to pardon Eugene de Kock.
The former Vlakplaas hit squad commander, who was sentenced to more than 200 years behind bars for the murders he committed during apartheid, was visited at Pretoria Maximum Security Prison by one of his victims’ widows on Wednesday.
Doreen Mgoduka, the widow of Warrant Officer Mbalala Mgoduka, and Pearl Faku, Sergeant Temba Faku’s widow, have previously expressed their willingness to reconcile with De Kock.
Their husbands were killed in a car bomb that also claimed the lives of Sergeant Desmond Mpipa and alleged informer Xolile Sakati in 1989 in Motherwell, Port Elizabeth. The officers were all members of the Port Elizabeth Security Branch at the time.
De Kock told the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) the four had been assassinated because they knew too much about the murder of United Democratic Front activist Matthew Goniwe.
It appears the only question around his release is the timing.
Freed Zimbabwean apartheid spy Kevin Woods told Weekend Argus yesterday his friend De Kock had been told he would be freed next week.
Woods, who was held in Harare’s Chikurubi prison for 19 years before Zuma’s intervention led to his freedom, became pen friends with De Kock.
“We never worked together, but we knew each other during the 1980s. We started writing to each other when I was still in prison,” said Woods.
Woods explained he had spoken to his friend – dubbed by some Prime Evil – last week. The men had discussed De Kock’s imminent pardon and Zuma’s secret visit to him last April.
“That visit was leaked because the public needs to get used to the idea that he will be free soon. And now it is out there. He is looking forward to getting out. He is positive. There are many many people who care for him,” said Woods.
However, the DA’s James Selfe vowed yesterday to fight any hope of a pardon.
“De Kock most certainly should not take his place in society. He has not served his sentence, he has apparently not shown remorse, and he is a danger to society.
“This man killed at least six people. It is unfathomable that such an individual could even be considered for a pardon.”
There has been speculation that Zuma could grant De Kock a reprieve as a political tradeoff for a widely expected pardon for his former financial adviser Schabir Shaik.
Apartheid survivor group, Khulumani said recently that if Zuma “was to be adequately and appropriately informed, and was to rigorously apply his mind to the granting of pardons, he would need to take into account the views of the victims and survivors of the crimes for which pardons were being considered”.
The TRC made it a condition of amnesty that the views of victims had been considered.
Presidency spokesman Vincent Magwenya would not confirm that the widows’ letter had been received, but said the Presidency did not have to make public the correspondence the president received.
WAITING: Eugene de Kock