‘Me­dia’ man gets 13 years

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - WORLD -

YAN­GON: A court in mil­i­tary-ruled Myan­mar handed down a 13-year prison sen­tence on Wed­nes­day to a man ac­cused of work­ing il­le­gally for for­eign me­dia or­gan­i­sa­tions.

Ngwe Soe Lin was ar­rested in June last year af­ter leav­ing an in­ter­net cafe. A spe­cial court in­side Yan­gon’s no­to­ri­ous In­sein prison found him guilty of vi­o­lat­ing im­mi­gra­tion laws and the Elec­tron­ics Act which reg­u­lates all forms of elec­tronic com­mu­ni­ca­tion, at­tor ney Aung Thein said.

“There is no proof that he was work­ing for any for­eign me­dia and there was no ev­i­dence that he had bro­ken the im­mi­gra­tion law,” said Aung Thein.

Ngwe Soe Lin will ap­peal against the con­vic­tion.

Ex­iled Myan­mar na­tion­als pro­vide the main source of un­cen­sored news in Myan­mar, in­clud­ing on­line mag­a­zines and ra­dio and satel­lite tele­vi­sion sta­tions such as the Nor­way-based Demo­cratic Voice of Burma.

The gov­ern­ment con­trols all elec­tronic me­dia and daily news­pa­pers in­side the coun­try, and tightly reg­u­lates mag­a­zines. It also keeps the in­ter­net un­der close con­trol and has ar­rested sev­eral blog­gers. – Sapa-AP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.