R3m ticket scan­dal at SABC re­vealed

Ex­ec­u­tives given scores of top seats

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NEWS - CARIEN DU PLESSIS and SIYABONGA MKHWANAZI

TOP SABC ex­ec­u­tives are set for a bumper World Cup sea­son as they were al­lo­cated a to­tal of 277 tick­ets for top seats at the tour­na­ment out of the 2 190 tick­ets bought for R3.3 mil­lion by the cash-strapped cor­po­ra­tion.

Ac­cord­ing to a con­fi­den­tial in­ter­nal doc­u­ment, SABC chair­man Ben Ngubane and group chief ex­ec­u­tive Solly Mokoe­tle got 86 tick­ets each for the tour­na­ment – two each for kick­off and the fi­nal and six tick­ets each for a fur­ther 14 matches.

SABC board deputy chair­woman Fel­leng Sekha got 66 tick­ets – two for the kick­off, a semi­fi­nal match in Cape Town and the fi­nals, and six tick­ets for each of a fur­ther 10 games.

The re­main­ing 10 mem­bers of the SABC board, how­ever, have to di­vide their tick­ets care­fully, as the board was given 20 tick­ets for kick­off and 20 for the fi­nal, as well as four tick­ets for the Brazil vs Cote d’Ivoire match in Jo­han­nes­burg on June 20.

Tick­ets were also al­lo­cated to 33 jour­nal­ists, most of them from the SABC or from the print me­dia, who were on the SABC “hos­pi­tal­ity guest list”.

The other tick­ets went to tele­vi­sion and ra­dio di­vi­sions within the SABC, as well as to lis­tener com­pe­ti­tions.

Ngubane yes­ter­day said he was only al­lo­cated four tick­ets for each of the matches when the doc­u­ment in­di­cated six.

“I did not ask for these tick­ets, it was done by the SABC’s ad­min­is­tra­tion, so they are the right peo­ple to ask about it.”

He said the tick­ets were in­tended for en­ter­tain­ing cor­po­rate part­ners, and he him­self would not be go­ing to all the matches.

He would pre­fer to at­tend the matches where the SA team, Bafana Bafana, would be play­ing, and even then he would be ac­com­pa­nied by busi­ness part­ners, he said.

“Who­ever got tick­ets will have to re­port to the SABC af­ter­wards about how they were used,” he said.

Mokoe­tle yes­ter­day re­fused to say whether his al­lo­ca­tion was cor­rectly in­di­cated on the doc­u­ment.

He also threat­ened to take le­gal ac­tion should the in­for­ma­tion be in­cor­rect.

And he de­manded to know the source of the in­for­ma­tion.

Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Min­is­ter Siphiwe Nyanda last week re­vealed that the SABC had spent R3.3 mil­lion on the World Cup tick­ets for “stake­hold­ers”, some­thing which the DA said could not be jus­ti­fied given the en­tity’s fi­nan­cial sta­tus.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.