Puffer downs diner

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - LIFE -

TOKYO: A Michelin two-star restau­rant in Tokyo is fac­ing a crim­i­nal com­plaint af­ter a diner was served the toxic liver of a puffer fish and ended up in hos­pi­tal, a health of­fi­cial said .

The Tokyo Met­ro­pol­i­tan Govern­ment has re­voked the spe­cial li­cence to serve puffer­fish (fugu) for chef Takeshi Ya­suge, who runs Fugu Fukuji in the up­mar­ket Ginza area.

The 35- year- old wo­man diner suf­fered a headache and numb­ness in her lips af­ter eat­ing the liver.

The chef may face fines and pos­si­bly jail.

Fugu, a pricey sea­sonal del­i­cacy, must be pro­cessed by spe­cially trained and li­censed chefs who cut out toxic parts, in­clud­ing the liver and skin.

How­ever, some afi­ciona­dos ask to be served the banned parts, which are said to be a fine but dan­ger­ous del­i­cacy.

A Michelin spokes­woman said it did not plan to change its rat­ing of the restau­rant, which was based on the dishes its agents ate.

The Ja­panese cap­i­tal boasts 16 three-star eater­ies, six more than Paris. – Sa­paAFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.