Del Potro for Syd­ney

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - SPORT -

SYD­NEY: Ar­gentina's former US Open cham­pion Juan Martin Del Potro will be­gin the 2012 sea­son at the Syd­ney In­ter­na­tional next month, tour­na­ment or­gan­is­ers said yes­ter­day.

The world num­ber 11 will be back for the Syd­ney event for the sec­ond straight year and joins former top 10 play­ers Lley­ton He­witt and Mar­cos Bagh­datis in the men’s draw.

“In Syd­ney, they gave me one of the first wild­cards af­ter my in­jury and I ap­pre­ci­ated this very much from them,” he said.

Del Potro, 23, be­gan this year ranked 258 af­ter bat­tling a wrist in­jury through­out 2010, but fin­ished the sea­son just out­side the top 10.

Del Potro also led Ar­gentina to the Davis Cup fi­nal where Spain won 3-1 in Seville last week­end.

The Syd­ney In­ter­na­tional runs from Jan­uary 8-14. – SAPA-AFP

Juan Martin Del Potro

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.