Henning mother to tell all
‘We will make sure truth about daughter’s killing gets out’
IN A CRYPTIC message, the mother of slain Pretoria teaching assistant Chanelle Henning has vowed to reveal all about the death of her daughter.
Sharon Saincic made the promise yesterday as her family prepared for a sombre New Year’s Eve tonight.
With the mastermind of the killing still free, Saincic has said that once the real person behind her daughter’s death is brought to book, and punished for his “heinous” crime, she will speak out.
“Only once that person is behind bars will I tell all. It is too sensitive to talk about now.
“We will call a press conference when the time is right and reveal what really happened to bring the life of our beautiful daughter to such a tragic end.
“Even if it is two years from now, we will make sure the truth gets out,” she said.
Saincic’s message comes a week after they spent a “beautiful” Christmas Day with their daughter’s five- year- old son Benjamin.
Benjamin, who is currently in foster care, witnessed his mother’s murder moments after she dropped him off at his crèche in Faerie Glen last month.
Henning was murdered by disgraced policeman Gerhardus du Plessis, and Willem Pieterse, who as part of a plea bargain pleaded guilty to the killing earlier this month in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court.
They were both sentenced to 18 years in prison for the hit, carried out when Du Plessis shot Henning twice in the chest moments after she dropped off Benjamin.
They both alleged that they were given instructions to murder the blonde Woodhill College teaching assistant, who was estranged from her son’s multimillionaire businessman father Nico Henning, by former Nigerian Olympian Ambrose Monye.
In a statement read out in court the two men said Monye allegedly told Pieterse he had a “job” for him, and that someone wanted a “person to be taken out”.
Monye allegedly introduced Pieterse and Du Plessis to André Gouws – a former Sunnyside police officer and apparently a friend of Henning’s estranged husband.
Although pleading guilty to the killing, neither the reason for it, nor the identity of the mastermind has been revealed.
Monye and Gouws are to appear in court on January 17 to apply for bail.
Henning’s family meanwhile remain confident that the mastermind will eventually be arrested.
“Even if it takes years, we know this person will eventually be put behind bars. While we were not at court for the sentencing of the men who killed Chanelle, we will be there when this person is sent away,” Saincic said yesterday.
Asked if she knew the person’s identity, she added: “We know what we know, but there is no proof so we cannot say anything about who might have done what.
“We will speak out, but at this stage we do not want to jeopardise the case. The police are doing excellent work and we are afraid that if we talk now this will all be undone.”
Asked how the family’s Christmas had been, and about their hopes for the new year, Saincic said it had been a sad one.
“We miss our beautiful daughter terribly and have a great emptiness in our hearts. It is very hard for us, but we are at peace knowing our daughter is now with God.”
Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-colonel Tshisikhawe Ndou said there had been no new developments in the case to date.