Brother of sa­tanic-mur­der vic­tim tells court of anger, re­gret

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NEWS -

KIRSTY The­ol­ogo’s brother told the High Court in Jo­han­nes­burg, sit­ting in Palm Ridge, he wished he could have saved his sis­ter.

“I am not an­gry with you, I am not an­gry with God, but I feel an­gry that I couldn’t help her,” Alex Noble told the two men con­victed of his sis­ter’s mur­der yes­ter­day.

“I wake up in cold flashes, think­ing it’s a bad dream… I wake from it over and over again,” he said in pre-sen­tenc­ing pro­ceed­ings.

He re­counted how he went look­ing for his sis­ter on Oc­to­ber 21, 2011, the night she was struck on the head with a rock, doused with petrol and set alight by her friends in a sa­tanic rit­ual on a hill in Lin­meyer, south of Joburg.

Sev­eral hours later, The­ol­ogo, 18, ar­rived home se­verely burnt. She died from her in­juries in hos­pi­tal.

Noble said he ac­cepted the apol­ogy of his sis­ter’s killers, cousins Robin Har­wood and Lin­don Wag­ner, con­victed of as­sault, mur­der, and at­tempted mur­der on Thurs­day.

Har­wood and Wag­ner’s mothers took the stand and pleaded with the The­ol­o­gos to for­give them and their sons.

Sylvia The­ol­ogo, Kirsty’s mother, told the court her fam­ily had changed.

“My chil­dren blame me be­cause I am her mother and I was sup­posed to pro­tect her.”

She said her son Alex had be­come dis­re­spect­ful and ag­gres­sive. She would never for­give Wag­ner and Har­wood, adding if they wanted for­give­ness they would get it from God.

The­ol­ogo’s friend, who was 14 at the time of the at­tack, also took the stand. “I for­give you be­cause one day when I get to heaven I will want my Father to for­give me,” she said.

She used a black scarf to cover the burn scars on her neck and chest she sus­tained dur­ing the rit­ual.

She said she would never be able to be in­ti­mate with a man be­cause of the scars.

Her life had changed and her re­la­tion­ship with her mother had bro­ken down.

Judge Geral­dine Borchers said she was sched­uled for an op­er­a­tion and could only con­tinue with the sen­tenc­ing on Fe­bru­ary 11.

Sylvia The­ol­ogo burst into tears on hear­ing this. “No, I can’t do this any more... I’m fin­ished, I want it to end,” she said, as fam­ily mem­bers com­forted her. – Sapa

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.